RAMs approach to portrait painting is a simple step by step process, each step builds on the last creating a solid foundation of knowledge to fall back on when faced with the challenges involved with portrait painting.
Drawing Program Outline
The Drawing Program has been divided into 3 terms focusing on the Structure, Rendering and Interpretation.
- Term 1 Structure. In the first term we will be focusing on the structure of the head. The Individual characteristics are complicated to draw so we create a basic structure before adding the features.
- Term 2 Rendering. In this term we will be learning how to render the forms of the head. Observing the effects of light and shade and the visual problems it creates and how to solve them in a logical step by step manner.
- Term 3 Interpretation. In this term we will be looking at style. By studying master drawings and then applying it to our own work is one of the quickest ways to advance your own style.
Painting Program Outline
In the Painting Program is divided into 3 terms focusing on Underpainting, Limited Palette and Full Colour Palette.
- Term 1 Imprimatura and Grisaille Underpainting. The first term will be divided between two types of underpainting, the first half “Imprimatura” using one pigment and the second half “Grisaille” using two pigments.
- Term 2 Limited palette. In this term we will focus on a gaining control over a limited colour palette. We can expand our palette once we’ve learned to use the palette effectively.
- Tem 3 Full Palette. In the third term we will be exploring the Full Colour Palette which has a much broader range than a limited palette, containing a range of primary and secondary colours. It lends itself well to the Alla Prima style of painting giving it a fresh vibrant look.
All the techniques taught in the program are a means in their own right and deserve to be experimented with. Zorn himself achieved some virtuoso results using a limited range of colour.